DEFENCE PROVINCIAL LIAISON COUNCILS (DPLCs)
WHAT ARE THE DPLCs?
DPLCs are established and constituted by the Defence Reserves Provincial Offices in the various Provinces with the purpose of promoting and maintaining support for service by Reserve Force members, Units and Formations of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF).
WHAT ARE THE OBJECTIVES OF THE DPLCs?
- To create awareness, clear understanding and knowledge of the Reserve Force and the Reserve Force Military Service System.
- To actively promote support for the Reserve System and the Reserve members amongst the broader public and achieve endorsement of Reserve Service (in particular from employers) that will lead to an increased number of volunteers joining the Reserves.
WHAT ARE THE FUNCTIONS OF THE DPLCs?
- Awareness. To create a structure through which industry will be made aware of the Reserve System and also create a clear understanding of the role of the Reserves and how this can and will benefit the employer.
- Support. To generate active support amongst business for the Reserve System.
- Elicit. To elicit commitment from employers, organised labour and the community to support the volunteer by allowing him/her reasonable time to render military service.
- Consulting. To consult with the broader public on the Reserve System and in so doing obtain valuable information that can be utilised in improving the System to the benefit of the employer and the volunteer.
- Feedback. To provide feedback on a regular basis to Chief Defence Reserves on issues that can improve the support for Reserve Force Service amongst the broader public.
WHO MAY SERVE ON THE DPLC?
SA citizens that hold an influential position in organised business and public structures and who are motivated to serve the interests of the SANDF in general and the Reserve Service System in particular.
WHAT SECTORS CAN BE REPRESENTED ON THE DPLC?
- Business and Industry
- Provincial and Local Government
- Tertiary education institutions
- Organised labour
- Youth organisations
- Non-government organisations
- Religious organisations
- Traditional leadership
CURRENT STATUS OF THE DPLCs?
- Western Cape – Activated
- Eastern Cape – To be formed
- Free State – Activated
- Kwa Zulu-Natal – Activated
- North West – Activated
- Northern Cape - In process
- Gauteng - Activated
- Limpopo- Activated
- Mpumalanga – Activated